DIY Papercrete Brick Press

We finally tested our homemade brick press today. The design of the press we found on the internet from Leland Hite’s website: Hands-on Engineering. Our prototype is the notch version of the Micro Compound Lever Biomass Briquette Press. But we are going to use ours for papercrete bricks, and compressed earth bricks.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

This little press can produce about 2000 PSI of force.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Our brick form is made from scrap 2″ x 6″. The interior dimensions are 5.5″ x 5.5″ x 12″. We decided on this size so we could use another piece of scrap 2″ x 6″ as the top. And it’s a manageable size for a papercrete brick.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

A little added reinforcement as a precaution. It’s not pretty but it works.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

We are still testing out various amounts of pulp to get an idea of how much to use for consistent sized bricks. Our first test was using shredded confetti document paper soaked in a 55 gallon barrel. Our next test will be a papercrete mix. Above we filled the form with a measured amount of pulp.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Next is placing the top piece in position.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Applying pressure on the top of the form by moving the lever arm down.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

After the first press we reverse the form to get an even amount of pressure.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

After the second press we are ready to remove the form and then pop out the compressed brick.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Here is the result. A paper brick compressed to 5.5″ W x 4″ H x 12″L.

Learning Curve

We ran into a few problems in the process.

Problem: The form and top piece got wet and slightly swelled, making the form compression process somewhat difficult.
Solution: Planed the outside edges of the top piece, and plan on buying and slathering on multiple coats of polyurethane next time we travel into Babylon.

Problem: Removing the brick from the form.
Solution: Removing the form from the press, turning the form upside down and pressing it down onto another 2″ x 4″ to pop the brick out of the bottom. (I’ll take photos of this step next test we do.)

So far we are pleased with the results. Once we nail the mix, and smooth out the kinks in the process we’ll start cranking out bricks to use for various building projects.

Here is Leland’s video showing you the original intent of the press… enjoy!